1. What is interest? How is interest different from compound interest?
2. Why is it important for young people to start saving as early as possible given the
principles of interest?
3. What is the purpose of a budget?
4. How can people make sure their budgets remain balanced?
1. What are the different types of banking institutions?
2. How is a checking account different than a savings account?
3. How can you monitor your checking account balance and what are the risks of
spending more money than you have?
1. What is credit, and how can it be useful to consumers?
2. What features of a credit card do you need to research when considering a credit
3. How can people make sure they are using credit cards responsibly?
4. What is the difference between a debit card and a credit card?
1. What information goes into a credit score, and what information does not?
2. Why would you want a good credit score? How are credit scores used?
3. What can you do to help make your credit score strong?
4. What can you do if you have a low credit score, to help increase it?
Financing Higher Education
1. How is education an investment in yourself?
2. Explain why it might be a good idea to borrow money for college if you might not
otherwise afford to go.
3. What are the steps in the student loan process?
4. Why is it important to repay your student loans on time?
Renting vs. Owning
1. What is a mortgage?
2. What causes a mortgage foreclosure?
3. What are the advantages of renting vs. owning a home? What are the
advantages of owning vs. renting a home?
4. Is buying a house always a solid investment?
Taxes and Insurance
1. What is tax revenue used for?
2. What is the difference between sales tax and property tax?
3. What types of insurance do people use and what are the benefits to having
4. How does one pay for insurance?
1. What is identity theft, and what can people do to protect themselves from it?
2. Why should people check their credit report once a year?
3. What are some examples of consumer fraud?
1. Why do people take financial risks?
2. What is a stock, and why might stocks be a good investment?
3. What is a mutual fund and how is it different than stock?
4. How are bonds different than stock? How does their risk profile differ?
5. How can you lower risks when it comes to investing?